Thursday, July 22, 2010

#52: Harry Cassady

Harry Cassady

I) Cassady --> '04 Pirates --> Fred Carisch

I checked the other team Cassaday played for, the '05 Senators, but no one came close to lasting as long as Carisch. Carisch technically didn't even last that long. He stopped playing regularly in 1914, but came back 9 years later and played in two games!

II) Carisch --> '23 Tigers --> Del Pratt

We connected Pratt already, but using his chain will take us over 6 degrees. I'll have to see where else I can go.

II) Carisch --> '23 Tigers --> Earl Whitehill, Syl Johnson, Heinie Manush
      III) Manush --> '39 Pirates --> Ken Heintzelman, Bob Elliott
              IV) Heintzelman --> '52 Phillies
              IV) Elliott --> '53 Browns
              IV) Elliott --> '53 White Sox
      III) Whitehill --> '39 Cubs --> Phil Cavarretta
              IV) Cavarretta --> '55 White Sox
      III) Johnson --> '40 Phillies --> Kirby Higbe, Danny Litwhiler
              IV) Higbe --> '50 Giants
              IV) Litwhiler --> '51 Reds


We've used Heintzelman and the '52 Phillies before, but using them here wouldn't get us under 6 degrees. The '55 White Sox seem like my best bet.

              IV) Cavarretta --> '55 White Sox --> Minnie Minoso

So close! One degree earlier and I could have jumped all the way to Matt Stairs through Minoso. Although Minoso will win the longest lasting player award, I'll need to get to the 70's and use my Big 3 if I'm going to make it.

              IV) Cavarretta --> '55 White Sox --> Earl Battey
                     V) Battey --> '67 Twins


Nope. No luck here. I'm feeling ambitious however, so I'm going to go back and try the '53 Browns. Maybe I'll get lucky...

              IV) Elliott --> '53 Browns --> Don Larsen
                     V) Larsen --> '67 Cubs


I guess not. Unfortunately, I'm going to call this one. I came close, but in the end, I just didn't have it.

Degrees of Matt Stairs: over 6

No comments:

Post a Comment