Monday, May 17, 2010

#18: Grover Baichley

Grover Baichley

Another guy who played one season in the early 1900's.

I) Grover Baichley --> '14 Browns --> Del Pratt

We've already connected Pratt, and I can easily complete my chain by going this route. However, I want to see if I can go a different route.

I) Grover Baichley --> '14 Browns --> Jimmy Austin

II) Austin --> '29 Browns --> Rick Ferrell, Red Kress
      III) Farrell --> '47 Senators
      III) Kress --> '46 Giants


The '46 Giants are on my table, so I know I can complete the chain here too. If I want to tread new ground, I'll have to take the Senators.

      III) Farrell --> '47 Senators --> Bobo Newsome

Bobo again! Unfortunately, we're too far down the chain to use him.

      III) Farrell --> '47 Senators --> Early Wynn, Eddie Yost
              IV) Wynn --> '63 Indians
              IV) Yost --> '62 Angels


Once again, I find myself leaning towards that Indians team, if only because I'm so close to a possible link to Rick Cerone.

              IV) Wynn --> '63 Indians --> Jim Perry
                      V) Perry --> '75 Indians --> Rick Cerone


Awesome. "Big 3" Cerone comes through for me again! During the course of this one, I could have completed this chain twice using previous links found. Because I bypassed known routes, I can now add more teams to my table. Technically, I could have even bypassed the "Big 3" link, as the '63 Indians also featured Tommy John, who pitched until '89. Anyway, I have my chain:

1. Grover Baichley played for the 1914 St. Louis Browns with Jimmy Austin.
2. Jimmy Austin played for the 1929 St. Louis Browns with Rick Ferrell.
3. Rick Ferrell played for the 1947 Washington Senators with Early Wynn.
4. Early Wynn played for the 1963 Cleveland Indians with Jim Perry.
5. Jim Perry played for the 1975 Cleveland Indians with Rick Cerone.
6. Rick Cerone played for the 1992 Montreal Expos with Matt Stairs!

Degrees of Matt Stairs: 6

No comments:

Post a Comment