Friday, March 4, 2011

#188: Ray Yochim

Ray Yochim

I) Ray Yochim --> '49 Cardinals --> Steve Bilko, Red Schoendienst, Stan Musial

II) Bilko --> '62 Angels
II) Musial --> '63 Cardinals
II) Schoendienst --> '63 Cardinals


This is familiar to me. I know Musial/Schoendienst have appeared in this blog before...

I found them!

----------
              IV) Medwick --> '48 Cardinals --> Stan Musial, Red Schoendienst

Both Musial and Schoendienst retired after playing for the Cardinals in 1963. This is still a pretty big gap to cross, although not as bad as the Kinder and Moss links.

                     V) Musial/Schoendienst --> '63 Cardinals --> Bob Gibson, Ray Sadecki, Dal Maxvill, Tim McCarver

Four players who played in the 70's. This is very encouraging. If I can connect any of them to my "Big 3", I've got my link:

                     VI) Gibson --> '75 Cardinals
                     VI) Sadecki --> '77 Mets
                     VI) Maxvill --> '75 Athletics
                     VI) McCarver --> '80 Phillies

----------

Which brings me here. Out of the last group, only the Phillies team has been connected. We'll keep going with another Cardinal Hall of Famer.

      III) Gibson --> '75 Cardinals --> Jim Dwyer, Keith Hernandez
              IV) Dwyer --> '90 Twins
              IV) Hernandez --> '90 Indians


There were numerous players who played with my "Big 3" as well, but I only listed the two who lasted longest. I don't think it'll make that big of a deal. As usual, I'm going with the All-Star.

              IV) Hernandez --> '90 Indians --> Doug Jones, Rudy Seanez, Tom Candiotti, Sergio Valdez, Chris James
                     V) Candiotti --> '98 Athletics
                     V) James --> '95 Red Sox
                     V) Jones --> 2000 Athletics
                     V) Seanez --> 2004 Royals
                     V) Seanez --> 2008 Phillies
                     V) Valdez --> '93 Expos


1. Ray Yochim played for the 1949 St. Louis Cardinals with Stan Musial.
2. Stan Musial played for the 1963 St. Louis Cardinals with Bob Gibson.
3. Bob Gibson played for the 1975 St. Louis Cardinals with Keith Hernandez.
4. Keith Hernandez played for the 1990 Cleveland Indians with Chris James.
5. Chris James played for the 1995 Boston Red Sox with Matt Stairs!

Degrees of Matt Stairs: 5

No comments:

Post a Comment