Monday, September 13, 2010

#96: Gus Getz

Gus Getz

I) Gus Getz --> '18 Indians
I) Gus Getz --> '18 Pirates


Two teams to go with here. I'll try both and see where I get the farthest.

I) Gus Getz --> '18 Indians --> Steve O'Neill, Tris Speaker, Stan Coveleski, Eddie Onslow

II) O'Neill --> '28 St. Louis Browns
II) Speaker --> '28 Philadelphia Athletics
II) Coveleski --> '28 Yankees
II) Onslow --> '27 Washington Senators


O'Neill and Speaker have appeared on this blog before, so I know I have a complete chain. I'll try the Pirates group just to see if anyone pops up that I may want to try.

I) Gus Getz --> '18 Pirates --> Carmen Hill, Hal Carlson, Billy Southworth, Max Carey

II) Hill --> '30 Cardinals
II) Carlson --> '30 Cubs
II) Southworth --> '29 Cardinals
II) Carey --> '29 Brooklyn Robins


Carey and the '29 Robins are also returning links. For the sake of fun and expanding my list of teams, I'll go with Carlson and those lovable Cubs.

II) Carlson --> '30 Cubs --> Guy Bush, Lon Warneke
      III) Bush --> '45 Reds
      III) Warneke --> '45 Cubs

Two more branches here. I guess I'll just have to see who takes me the farthest.

      III) Bush --> '45 Reds --> Herm Wehmeier, Hank Sauer
              IV) Wehmeier --> '58 Cardinals
              IV) Wehmeier --> '58 Tigers
              IV) Sauer --> '59 Giants

      III) Warneke --> '45 Cubs --> Andy Pafko
              IV) Pafko --> '59 Milwaukee Braves


Still no clear-cut choices. Let's just keep going...

      III) Warneke --> '45 Cubs --> Andy Pafko
              IV) Pafko --> '59 Milwaukee Braves --> Hank Aaron
                     V) Aaron - '76 Brewers


Nope.

      III) Bush --> '45 Reds --> Hank Sauer
              IV) Sauer --> '59 Giants --> Willie MCovey, Orlando Cepeda, Felipe Alou
                     V) McCovey --> '80 Giants
                     V) Cepeda --> '74 Royals
                     V) Alou --> '73 Expos
                     V) Alou --> '74 Brewers


Very close here. If Alou had played for the Expos the following year, I could have made a connection.

      III) Bush --> '45 Reds --> Herm Wehmeier
              IV) Wehmeier --> '58 Cardinals --> Lindy McDaniel
                     V) McDaniel --> '75 Royals


Nada.

      III) Bush --> '45 Reds --> Herm Wehmeier
              IV) Wehmeier --> '58 Tigers --> Al Kaline


Another dead end. Kaline helped us before, but we're too far down the chain to squeeze into 6 degrees. Fortunately, I established a couple links early on in the posts, so I can still make it to 6.

1. Gus Getz played for the 1918 Cleveland Indians with Steve O'Neill.
2. Steve O'Neill played for the 1928 St. Louis Browns with Red Kress.
3. Red Kress played for the 1946 New York Giants with Bobby Thompson.
4. Bobby Thompson played for the 1960 Baltimore Orioles with Brooks Robinson.
5. Brooks Robinson played for the 1976 Baltimore Orioles with Dennis Martinez.
6. Dennis Martinez played for the 1992 Montreal Expos with Matt Stairs.

Degrees of Matt Stairs: 6

No comments:

Post a Comment