Thursday, June 24, 2010

#38: Spec Harkness

Spec Harkness

I) Spec Harkness --> '11 Naps --> Steve O'Neill

I had never heard of the Naps before, but the roster featured two huge names from our baseball lore - Shoeless Joe Jackson and Cy Young (plus Hall of Famer Nap Lajoie). Pretty cool.

II) O'Neill --> '28 Browns

I had already connected the '29 Browns, however Rick Ferrell isn't on the '28 team, so onward I push...

II) O'Neill --> '28 Browns --> Dick Coffman, Boom-Boom Beck, Red Kress
      III) Coffman --> '45 Phillies
      III) Beck --> '45 Reds
      III) Beck --> '45 Pirates
      III) Kress --> '46 Giants


I've connected the '45 Phillies and the '46 Giants before, so I know I can complete the chain with either Coffman or Kress. However, I cannot pass up the opportunity to include a guy nicknamed Boom-Boom, so I'm going to see where he takes me.

      III) Beck --> '45 Reds --> Herm Wehmeier, Hank Sauer
              IV) Wehmeier --> '58 Cardinals
              IV) Wehmeier --> '58 Tigers
              IV) Sauer --> '59 Giants

      III) Beck --> '45 Pirates --> Bob Elliott, Preacher Roe
              IV) Elliott --> '53 Browns
              IV) Elliott --> '53 White Sox
              IV) Roe --> '54 Dodgers


Lots of choices here, but I'm going to ignore the '45 Pirates branch, since the '45 Reds give me an extra 5 years.

              IV) Sauer --> '59 Giants --> Willie MCCovey
                     V) McCovey --> '80 Giants
              IV) Wehmeier --> '58 Cardinals --> Lindy McDaniel
                     V) McDaniel --> '75 Royals
              IV) Wehmeier --> '58 Tigers --> Al Kaline
                     V) Kaline --> '74 Tigers


By now, I should have at least been able to get to one of my "Big 3". A lot of work for naught I'm afraid. Fortunately, I already knew I could complete my chain. I'm going with the '46 Giants over the '45 Phillies, for no reason other than to give Granny Hamner a break.

1. Spec Harkness played for the 1911 Cleveland Naps with Steve O'Neill.
2. Steve O'Neill played for the 1928 St. Louis Browns with Red Kress.
3. Red Kress played for the 1946 New York Giants with Bobby Thompson.
4. Bobby Thompson played for the 1960 Baltimore Orioles with Brooks Robinson.
5. Brooks Robinson played for the 1976 Baltimore Orioles with Dennis Martinez.
6. Dennis Martinez played for the 1992 Montreal Expos with Matt Stairs.

Degrees of Matt Stairs: 6

No comments:

Post a Comment